Re: Notices for redundant operations

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: Notices for redundant operations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Saturday 06 September 2003 07:25, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera writes:
> > If people doesn't receive any message regarding the command they
> > executed, they will execute it again, and again, and they will
> > eventually wonder what's wrong and start investigating why "nothing is
> > happening".
>
> That is not the case here.  The commands still generate the normal
> response, e.g., "ALTER TABLE", if they succeed.

Hmm... the counter state seems to be that now these commands would tell you
they are doing something even though they are arn't really doing anything:

=> alter table test set without oids;
ALTER TABLE
=> alter table test set without oids;
ALTER TABLE
=> alter table test set without oids;
ALTER TABLE

I think popping a notice that the table is already without oids could be
helpful. for sure these types of messages should not be warnings though.

Robert Treat