Re: Examining the output of: ldd `which postgres`

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Examining the output of: ldd `which postgres`
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Sean Chittenden wrote:
> > We add those to all links, mostly because it is too confusing to do
> > it per link.  It doesn't hurt anything because it is dynamically
> > linked, so doesn't take any disk space, and in fact is never called.
>
> My concern wasn't for disk space, but for symbol resolution times and
> unnecessary VM page table space.  Does the backend fork() or exec() a
> copy of itself when a new connection comes in?  I thought it was
> exec() for some reason.  Anyway, given how easy it is to change the
> LDFLAGS, I was thinking about chasing down where postgres is linked
> and splitting apart LDFLAGS into two sets of LDFLAGS: LDFLAGS_CLI and
> LDFLAGS (or LDFLAGS_DAEMON, or some such).  It's chump, but a few ms
> here and there, or a little more IO there eventually add up,
> especially in the arena of on connection times.

Backend only forks().  I think you would be better off using Makefile
macros to _remove_ those two libraries.

I see this:
     $(filter crypt.o getaddrinfo.o inet_aton.o snprintf.o strerror.o path.o thread.o, $(LIBOBJS))

Seems you need the reverse.

Pennsylvania19073