Re: About GPL and proprietary software

От Michael Meskes
Тема Re: About GPL and proprietary software
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 04:14:30PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> > Sure? My understanding is that it does break GPL. That's why there's an
> > LGPL.
> >
> > But since MySQL is double licensed and GPl is just one of the two it
> > gets even more complicated.
>
> No, actually, it's pretty simple.
> The issue is that the CLIENT software is unavailable in other than GPL
> and other "private license-for-money" forms.
>
> In order for you to use MySQL, you have to link GPLed libraries in
> with your code.  There are no LGPLed libraries; that would break MySQL
> AB's business model.

Well, isn't that what I said? Okay, granted, you put it into words much
better, but it looks like I wanted to say the same.

MySQL has to GPL the libs to make sure they can make money with there
other license. What I meant to say with LGPL is that this license is for
such a usage, not that MySQl has LGPLed stuff.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Email: Michael at Fam-Meskes dot De