Re: Can't find thread on Linux memory overcommit

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Can't find thread on Linux memory overcommit
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Alan,

> You need to be careful using Alan's patch. The reason RH stopped using
> this part of it in their errata kernels is that it had conflicts with
> other stuff, specifically the rmap stuff (he told me that himself in
> email).

Hmmm ... that leaves us without a workaround for this problem, then, yes?
Because even parnoid-mode kernels you can discourage, but not prevent,
overcommitting.

> For mission critical apps I would advise running the postmaster on a
> dedicated machine, with no X or other nasty stuff running.

Unfortunately, this is frequently not an option ... PostgreSQL is often
together on a server with Apache, a JVM, and other server software.   As
happened in the one case of possible (diagnosis pending) failure that we are
looking into.  Of course, it could be something else ....

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Сообщение: Re: Can't find thread on Linux memory overcommit
Сообщение: Re: Can't find thread on Linux memory overcommit