Re: Ammunition

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Ammunition
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Guys,

> > "If you want to save...money, make the default database MySQL. It's
> > free, it's bundled [with Sun's Solaris software], you've got the whole
> > open-source community working on making it better. If Yahoo and Google
> > can run their entire operations on MySQL, then certainly there's a
> > huge chunk of your operations that could run on it as well."

BTW, I was witness to some of the inside story behind Sun's selection of
MySQL.  They didn't want to adopt PostgreSQL because it is "too chaotic" and
"nobody is responsible", i.e. there's no corporation they can strike a deal
with.

Or, to put it another way:  Sun is a company which keeps its OSS projects
close to its chest, and makes you sign over your code to Sun if you want to
contribute.  Is is any surprise they like MySQL?

Fortunately, the OpenOffice.org development team remains PostgreSQL-friendly.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions