Re: Using YY-MM-DD date input

От Joel Rees
Тема Re: Using YY-MM-DD date input
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Does anyone use YY-MM-DD for date input?

Not from the postgresql context, but I've seen yy.mm.dd in a lot of
contexts lately. I had figured, with the Japanese eras, that the average
Japanese user of western dates would avoid things like 03.07.28, because
it would leave some question as to whether the date was today or twelve
years ago today. Perhaps some people got into that habit during the '80s
and '90s and haven't realized the implications.

Since I've already given my opinion that heuristics are better left to
the UI layer, and, if provided, should be off by default, I won't
mention it again. 8-)

How far off-the-wall would customizable heuristics be? In Japan, the
order is going to be yy.mm.dd except when a stupid foreigner (like me)
is entering data. However, it might be convenient to be able to set
rules something like the following:

FOUR_DIGIT_YEAR_IS_COMMON_ERA
TWO_DIGIT_YEAR_IS_CURRENT_LOCAL_ERA
TWO_DIGIT_YEAR_WITHIN_RANGE_IS_COMMON_ERA
    TWO_DIGIT_COMMON_YEAR_RANGE_LIMIT +nn -nn

(It's not something I'd necessarily condone, BTW.)

--
Joel Rees, programmer, Kansai Systems Group
Altech Corporation (Alpsgiken), Osaka, Japan