Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #3

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #3
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
People:

First, let me apologize for the confusion I caused.  I was out of the country
on July 15th, so I thought we'd gone beta on schedule ... and only had a week
to finish the press release.

But I'm glad we've got the ball rolling now.

> How about "Explicit JOINs no longer constrain query plan, unless
> JOIN_COLLAPSE_LIMIT = 1"?  This is kind of a big deal for MS SQL
> users/organizations..  Targeting their audience would be good and
> increase our user uptake from their dept.

Hmmm ....

    Optional explicit join rewriting by the query planner, allowing an
        easy transition for MS SQL Server users.

> >    Other improvements include:
> >    - Performance improvements for data warehousing
>
> Does this mean the NUMERIC handling?

No, mostly Hash Aggregates for faster GROUP BY queries.
Perhaps we should clarify?

    - Performance improvements in aggregates for faster data warehousing

> >    - Enhanced implementation of functional indexes
> >    - Addition of polymorphic function arguments and return types
> >    - Significant enhancements to array data types
> >    - Completely overhauled and simplified documentation

How "overhauled" is the documentation?   If it's a lot, this would be a "major
feature".

> >    - An auto-vacuum feature to help simplify database maintenance
>
> Update multi-byte regexp package is a big deal for intl users.
>
> If it gets mentioned, 24/7 installations are going to really push for
> upgrading to this release because of the index growth problem that was
> quenched in this version.  Something like:
>
>     Infinite index growth can now be prevented with frequent VACUUMs

I'd suggest:
    Improved index maintainence for high availability databases.

One more re-write from me this week.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Сообщение: Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #3
Сообщение: Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #3