Re: Urgent: 10K or more connections

От Sean Chittenden
Тема Re: Urgent: 10K or more connections
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> > > I have received a question via the Advocacy site and I am not
> > > knowledgeable enough to answer. Can you help?
> > >
> > > The question is: can PostgreSQL handle between 10'000 and 40'000
> > > simultaneous connections? The persone asking the question has to
> > > choose between Oracle and PostgreSQL, and my guess is that they
> > > would be relieved if they could go with PostgreSQL.
> > >
> > > Do you have any additional advice I could transmit to this person
> > > about handling that many connections. I'm sure any help we can
> > > provide will be an additional selling point.
> >
> > Actually, this begs the question: are there any "reverse DB" proxy
> > servers around that people have used?  Having a reverse libpq proxy
> > server would _rock_.  Some light weight multi-threaded proxy that
> > relays active connections to the backend and holds idle connections
> > more efficiently than PostgreSQL... well... it'd be a life saver in
> > sooooo many situations.  Granted it'd have its short comings
> > (connections would persist to the backend along transactions, once
> > committed, the front end would "detatch" from the backend that it was
> > using), but this is achitecturally similar to what MS and ORA do to
> > handle gazillions of connections to a database that in reality, can
> > only handle a few hundred (maybe a thousand or two) active
> > connections.
>
> I thin usogres does this.  not sure though, I haven't played with it, just
> heard of it.

Hrm...

Usogres

 Usogres is Synchronizing Option for postGRESql.  That's the meaning
 of name for this system.

What is Usogres?

 Real-time Backup Utility Usogres is the system which executes
 database duplication for PostgreSQL(http://www.postgresql.org/) which
 replication wasn't realized now.  It is fundamentally different from
 replication even if it is said that it executes database duplication.
 Persistently, it is defined to be making the same database in
 real-time.

Looks like it's closer to a replication solution to me, but you may be
able to stick one of these infront of PostgreSQL and have it handle
higher numbers of connections.  ::shrug:: I may have to check it out
and see... -sc

--
Sean Chittenden

Сообщение: Re: Urgent: 10K or more connections
Сообщение: Re: Urgent: 10K or more connections