Re: Clearing rows periodically

От: Paul Thomas
Тема: Re: Clearing rows periodically
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Sanity check requested  ("Nick Fankhauser", )
 Re: Sanity check requested  ("Shridhar Daithankar", )
  Re: Sanity check requested  ("Nick Fankhauser", )
   Re: Sanity check requested  (Josh Berkus, )
    Re: Sanity check requested  ("Nick Fankhauser", )
     Re: Sanity check requested  (Joe Conway, )
   Re: Sanity check requested  ("Shridhar Daithankar", )
    Clearing rows periodically  (Martin Foster, )
     Re: Clearing rows periodically  (Paul Thomas, )
     Re: Clearing rows periodically  (Andrew Sullivan, )
     Re: Clearing rows periodically  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: Sanity check requested  (Ang Chin Han, )
     File systems (RE: Sanity check requested)  ("Nick Fankhauser", )
      Re: File systems (RE: Sanity check requested)  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: Sanity check requested  ("scott.marlowe", )
   Re: Sanity check requested  (Vincent van Leeuwen, )
    Re: Sanity check requested  ("Nick Fankhauser", )
     Re: Sanity check requested  (Josh Berkus, )
     Re: Sanity check requested  (Rod Taylor, )
 Re: Sanity check requested  ("Oliver Scheit", )

On 18/07/2003 07:55 Martin Foster wrote:
> [snip]
> A VACUUM FULL will correct the issue, but put the site out of commission
> for roughly 20 minutes as the drive crunches the information.
>
> My question is, should the purging of rows be done more often then once
> a day for both tables.   Is this why performance seems to take a hit
> specifically?  As there were too many rows purged for vacuum to
> accurately keep track of?

ISTR that there are setting in postgresql.conf which affect how many
tables/rows vacuum can reclaim. The docs say that the default setting of
max_fsm_pages is 10000. Maybe this should be increased for your situation?

HTH

--
Paul Thomas
Business |