Re: dump_all/restore times?

От nolan@celery.tssi.com
Тема Re: dump_all/restore times?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> I have a sneaking suspicion that creation of foreign key constraints may
> be unreasonably inefficient during a restore, too.  Have not had a
> chance to check up on it though.  Next time you run such a restore,
> could you turn on log_statement and log_timestamp (or log_duration if
> you have it) so we can see which steps take the most time?

No foreign keys, but a lot of fairly large tables (by my usual standards),
several of which are multiply indexed.

It didn't seem to get into the indexing part until the last 2-3 hours,
I think most of that time was just loading data.

I can run the load again, this system was set up so I could develop more
familiarity with FreeBSD and to have a place to run CVS, the data
is just there to have something to test 7.4 with.

I was also planning to set up 7.3.3 on it (probably with a subset of the
data) so that I could do some comparative timings during beta testing.
I will try the restore under 7.3.3 to see if it performs much differently,
though after reading Joe's note I suspect that's probably just how long
it takes on this box.
--
Mike Nolan