dump_all/restore times?

От nolan@celery.tssi.com
Тема dump_all/restore times?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I'm testing a database against the 7.4 CVS, so I did a pg_dumpall
and a restore on another system.

The database has around 130 user tables which take up a bit under 15GB of
disk space.

The dump file was about 7GB.  (That seems about right based on past
experience, nobody ever said relational databases saved on disk space.)

My question has to do with the time it is taking to do the restore on the
2nd system.

I started the restore at 6PM last night, 18 hours later I'm hoping it is
getting close to being done, as it has been building indexes for the past
hour or so.

The test system is quite a bit slower than the system I'm cloning, it is on
a 133Mhz P2 vs a 2.2 Ghz Athlon, but it has a fairly fast 40 GB IDE disk
drive.

Is the amount of time it is taking within reasonable limits?  (That will
become a factor in deciding when and how to upgrade the production database,
which is on yet another system.)
--
Mike Nolan