Re: Problems running PostgreSQL on Windows XP

От Jason Tishler
Тема Re: Problems running PostgreSQL on Windows XP
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Roger,

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 12:14:31AM +0100, Roger Ackroyd wrote:
> Again, needed chmod's.
>
> This is probably very, very wrong, bad, whatever from a security point
> of view, but of course, I do not know just what the correct rights
> should be!. I would have thought that now, it should be possible, to
> gradually reduce the directory rights until it fails? I reckon that
> doing so might reveal a 'cast iron' solution to the problems folks
> seem to have on this platform. I would like somebodys comments on this
> before I try and would prefer them correct once and for all.

The files and directories should be owned by your PostgreSQL user with
permissions of 600 and 700, respectively.

> In the readme, there is no argument shown in the line, for either -w or
> --passwd.

That's because cygrunsrv will prompt you for the password when the
--passwd option is not specified.  Additionally, I didn't want people to
inadvertently record passwords in their shell history file.

> (I had a password set on the postgres account, so cygrunsrv
> essentially ignored the credentials altogether, just did not fail or
> warn).

No.

> I think that it 'loads' the services window logon values from these?

No, the two passwords must match.

> If either user or password is missing then it leaves them as Local
> system Account, so, ideally the line needs to be amended to show:-
>
> cygrunsrv ... --user postgresql --passwd $password ...

No, see above.

Jason