Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets

От: Andrew Sullivan
Тема: Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets  (Andrew Sullivan, )
 Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets  (The Hermit Hacker, )
  Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets  (Vincent van Leeuwen, )
   Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets  (Andrew Sullivan, )
    Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets  (Andrew Sullivan, )
 Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets  (Rod Taylor, )
 Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets  (Andrew Sullivan, )

Hi all,

You may remember in my last report, I said that it appeared that
TCP/IP connections caused EXPLAIN ANALYSE to return (repeatably but
not consistently) slower times than when connected over UNIX domain
sockets.

This turns out to be false.  We (well, Chris Browne, actually) ran
some tests which demonstrated that the performance problem turned up
over the UNIX socket, as well.  It was just a statistical fluke that
our smaller sample always found the problem on TCP/IP.

Of course, now we have some other work to do, but we can rule out the
transport at least.  Chalk one up for sane results.  If we discover
any more, I'll post it here.

----
<>                              M2P 2A8
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110