This thing drive me crazy! ;(

От Marco Gaiarin
Тема This thing drive me crazy! ;(
Дата
Re: This thing drive me crazy! ;(  (Marco Gaiarin <gaio@sv.lnf.it>)
Список pgsql-odbc
Sorry for jumping on this list like an elephant on a glass shop, but
i've a problem with the postgres ODBC driver on a win98SE PC that
really drive me crazy.

First, the setup:

Server: Debian GNU/Linux woody, i386, biprocessor:
gaio@mouse:~$ dpkg -l | grep postgr
ii  odbc-postgresq 7.2.1-2woody2  ODBC support for PostgreSQL
ii  postgresql     7.2.1-2woody2  Object-relational SQL database, descended fr
ii  postgresql-cli 7.2.1-2woody2  Front-end programs for PostgreSQL
ii  postgresql-con 7.2.1-2woody2  Additional facilities for PostgreSQL
ii  postgresql-dev 7.2.1-2woody2  Header files for libpq (postgresql library)
ii  postgresql-doc 7.2.1-2woody2  Documentation for the PostgreSQL database.

Client: Windows 98SE, last ODBC driver installed.

In my organization we use extensively a DB ``language'' called Centura
Desktop Tool (version 1.5.1ptf6), and we are porting all the apps
developed with this language/ide/dbms/... from informix to postgres.
There's no native support for postgres on Centura, so we use the
centura support for odbc and the postgres odbc driver.

We are deploying a new little procedure, just ported from informix to
postgres, and we have tested on my PC, and in other 5/6 PCs. I've
installed in other 5/6 PCs the ODBC driver and the centura deploy with
no problem at all.

But finally i've got this problem. A user (we are using NT 4.0 roaming
user profiles) got an old 6.X version of pg odbc driver installed, and
some settings remain in the local user registry.
When i've tried to install the new odbc driver, they say me some really
strange error. I don't remember but something like a not correct path.
Both for the full installer or the .msi.

I've reinstalled the old 6.X odbc driver, then deinstalled, then tried to
install the new... after some fiddling with i was able to install the
driver.

Then i've launched the application, do some query and all seems to work
well. But when i've tried to insert, an error pop up say me that the
driver was in readonly mode.
I've remembered that the old 6.X driver have the readonly mode as
default, so i've found that effectively i've had installed a mix of
dll of old and new driver.

Armed of holy patience and a tools like RegCleaner i've completely
removed all the references to postgres odbc drivers, remove manually
all the pgsqlodbc*.dll dlls and reinstalled the driver.
As a note, i've done this at least two time, and from different users
(so, not with the same profile).

So, i've fired up the application again, login with no problem at all,
do all i need apart... insert/update something, the driver say again
that the database/driver are in readonly mode. ;(((

The thing that really drive me mad (and i think i could be really
dangerous if Bill gates or someone of Centura software came here ;)
is that if i fire up the centura SQLTalk sql console, i can login,
select, ... but also ALTER/INSERT the data!!!

For me seems like that my little centura application have ``recorded''
that the odbc driver was in readonly mode, and still use this. Really,
really strange. ;(

Some more note:

1) clearly, i've rebooted the PC ;)
2) SQLTalk and my application use the same architecture, dll, ini files
3) my application are very simple and do nothing apart accessing the
  database.
4) my application is on a shared network drive, so the *same* binary
  works perfectly on at least other 10 PCs.

If you want some debug/log, say me how and i'll post.

Please, help me. Thanks. ;)

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin                    GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/

     Proteggiamo l'innovazione in Europa: no ai brevetti software
               http://swpat.xsec.it/