Re: Moving postgresql.conf tunables into 2003...

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Moving postgresql.conf tunables into 2003...
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 10:08:50AM -0700, Chris Travers wrote:
> In my opinion, a serious RDBMS system will *always* require the admin to
> be doing research in order to learn how to use it effectively.  We are
> not talking about a word processor here.
>
> That being said, I think that a good part of the problem is that admins
> don't know where to look for the appropriate documentation and what is
> needed.  Expecting someone to spend 20 seconds looking for a piece of
> info is not too bad, but expecting them to spend hours trying to figure
> out what info is relavent is not going to get us anywhere.

Something else to consider is that this is made worse because tuning for
pgsql is quite different than tuning for something like Oracle or DB2,
which don't deal as much with metrics such as random access cost v.
sequential access. They also take the approach of 'give me as much
memory as you can; I'll take it from there, thankyouverymuch', which
makes effective_cache_size a bit of a mystery.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant                  jim@nasby.net