Re: Datatypes and performance

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Datatypes and performance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 06:57:04PM -0700, Maksim Likharev wrote:
> Ok, then if I store 4K - 1byte in a varchar and after that 4K + 1 byte,
> and again and again, you are saying me that my text will be jerking
> around 2 tables?

In any case the tuple will probably "jerk around" different pages (I
don't think it's different whether the pages are from two tables or from
the same one).  I fail to understand how that is a different performance
problem than for any other datatype.  I'm sure you've done some
benchmark to determine that the varchar handling is as slow as you
appear to be saying?

"Postgres is bloatware by design: it was built to house
PhD theses." (Joey Hellerstein, SIGMOD annual conference 2002)