Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets

От: Andrew Sullivan
Тема: Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets  (Andrew Sullivan, )
 Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets  (The Hermit Hacker, )
  Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets  (Vincent van Leeuwen, )
   Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets  (Andrew Sullivan, )
    Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets  (Andrew Sullivan, )
 Re: Strange result: UNIX vs. TCP/IP sockets  (Rod Taylor, )

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 07:55:12PM +0200, Vincent van Leeuwen wrote:

> But since this only relates to making and breaking TCP connections,
> I don't think this is relevant for a larger query time. It's
> probably normal for a TCP connection to be slightly slower than a
> unix socket, but I don't think that's wat Andrew is experiencing.

No, it's not.  And my colleague Sorin Iszlai pointed out to me
something else about it: we're getting different numbers reported by
EXPLAIN ANALYSE itself.  How is that even possible?

If we try it here on a moderately-loaded Sun box, it seems we're able
to reproduce it, as well.

How could it be the transport affects the time for the query as
reported by the back end?

----
<>                              M2P 2A8
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110