Re: Fundraising

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Fundraising
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Sunday 29 Jun 2003 7:47 pm, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Elein, Rod:
> > Import or export.  I think the idea was for the CD label, insert, and/or
> > brochure to be in OOo format.  My preferences for the logo would be png
> > then jpeg.  I avoid gif as much as possible.
>
> Correct ... I was talking about the CD cover, not the logo.
>
> BTW, the patent on GIF expires sometime real soon (i.e within the month),
> or has already expired, which will actually make it a safer format than
> png, which could still run afoul of a hidden patent.  Ironic, hey?

Not so fast there citizen - iirc the patent on LZW as it applies to image
compression expired the other day. There might still be a patent covering the
use of white and black pixels to simulate gray somewhere.

> If our volunteer (anybody?  Bueller?) doesn't like OOo Draw for making CD
> covers, then you could use Kontour, which is another OSS vector-drawing
> program.  I'd love to provide SXD-format labels from OOo project, but can't
> seem to locate any -- only the finished products in PNG.
>
> The idea is that whatever format we use, it should be something that anyone
> in our community can read and modify, without needing to re-create from
> scratch in order to change the text, or to purchase expensive proprietary
> software.

Something readable in OOo would be nice - does Kontour run on Windows on
cygwin? What about the mac?

I'd think the funding money would be well spent on a professionally designer
to come up with templates for some standard handouts. Might not be cheap
though, especially since we'd need to consider internationalisation issues.

--
  Richard Huxton