Re: Database design - AGAIN

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Database design - AGAIN
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Rudi,

> For this task, a searchable directory, which design would be better.
> In know the second is more flexible as new features can be added but I
> have very limited time and
> I think the one larger table design would be quicker to build.

Sounds like you already have a clear grasp of the situation.

Here's one more question to ask yourself:  how long will this app be around?
If the answer is "no more than 3 months, probably less", do it the most
expedient way.  If the answer is "6 months to indefinitely", do it the
normalized way -- eventually, either you or your successor will need the
flexibility as the users demand new features.  If you are an employee, this
is a no-brainer ... it is 90% likely that even if this is a temporary measure
you will still be maintaining it 2 years from now, and will thank yourself if
you built it "right" in the first place.

Unless, of course, you are a consultant and your client is paying you $500
flat fee, in which case do it whatever way is fastest, but make sure your
client knows that they are not getting an expandable product.

> The front end will be either ColdFusion or PHP - I haven't decided yet.

See what I said about expediency above.   My web guru, who is an expert in
both PHP and Cold Fusion, would be delighted to never use Cold Fusion again.
So that's one expert opinion.  And don't forget the license fees.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions