Re: [pgsql-advocacy] interesting PHP/MySQL thread

От nolan@celery.tssi.com
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] interesting PHP/MySQL thread
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 nolan@celery.tssi.com wrote:
>
> > MySQL also does case independent text comparisions, and apparently ONLY
> > case-insensitive comparisons.
>
> Is this a good thing?  Doesn't sound like it to me, but figured I'd ask :)

I think it is a classic case of thinking 'small'.  :-)

The CIO on the project I'm working on thinks it is a good thing,
but he's coming from a MySQL environment, which he only learned in the
last year or so and he does not appear to have a lot of familiarity with
larger databases.

Personally, if I want case insensitivity, I'll WRITE IT INTO THE CODE,
but I can see how some people might think that 'NOLAN', 'Nolan' and
'nolan' should be considered as the same data.

BTW, I just tested it and MySQL does case folding on values in unique
indexes, too.  (Well, at least it is consistent.)
--
Mike Nolan

Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] interesting PHP/MySQL thread
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] interesting PHP/MySQL thread