Re: Two weeks to feature freeze

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dann Corbit wrote:
> That is the worst possible test plan.  It totally lacks organization and
> there is no hint to define when the feature set has been covered.  Ad
> hoc testing is a useful addition, but it cannot replace all the standard
> tests that have been used by the industry for decades.
>
> If you run literally hundreds of tests designed to ensure that your
> product conforms to ANSI/ISO standards then the bugs that are missed
> will be few and far between.  Unless you are bad at designing tests.
>
> Designing tests is busywork.  Desiging tests is boring.  Nobody wants to
> design tests, let alone interpret the results and define correct
> baselines.  But testing is very, very important.

I remember when I was with Great Bridge they said, "Oh, we are going to
have a test setup and do all sorts of testing to improve PostgreSQL."  I
told them I doubted their testing was going to shake out many more bugs
than our existing testing setup, and you know what, I was pretty much
right.  Sure, they found a few, but it wasn't much.

Pennsylvania19073

Сообщение: Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Сообщение: Re: Two weeks to feature freeze