rpm -Uvh pgadmin3.i386.rpm phppgadmin3.i386.rpm

От Jean-Michel POURE
Тема rpm -Uvh pgadmin3.i386.rpm phppgadmin3.i386.rpm
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
On Monday 16 June 2003 07:13, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> What's the date of this presentation - I'll try to get 3.0 final release
> out before then.

Dear Christopher,

We will be delighted to demonstrate PhpPgAdmin at LSM. Before we have 3 more
weeks before the LSM, I take the opportunity to make a proposal:

We are currently building pgAdmin3 binary packages from several host on the
internet. Daily snapshots are uploaded to http://snake.pgadmin.org.

We will provide packages for the following platforms:
- GNU/Linux Debian (in a few days)
- GNU/Linux RedHat
- GNU/Linux Slackware
- GNU/Linux Mandrake (in a few days)
- Win 2000/XP

and hopefully:
- MacOsX (work in progress).
- FreeBSD (work in progress).

Downloading stats show that pgAdmin2 may have up to 100.000 users (not daily
users). In my opinion, the reason for success lies *** partly *** (not
mainly) in the packaging policy of pgAdmin2...

The installer of pgAdmin2 has always been very good, thanks to Dave Page.

With the arrival of a native PostgreSQL Windows version in July and binary
installers of pgAdmin3 for all platforms, we hope to reach new users.

My concern is that many users both need pgAdmin3 and PhpPgAdmin3 because the
products are complementary. When you have a web interface, you need a GUI and
conversely. Also, PhpPgAdmin3 and pgAdmin3 cover the same platforms.

Therefore, I would be delighted if we could package PhpPgAdmin3 and release
daily snapshots in RPM format, based on the CVS version. Then, other
installers can follow.

We do not intend to distribute PhpPgAdmin, but you will be able to rsync the
binaries everyday and distribute them.

I can take care of the packaging work for most platforms, but I need your
approval before starting anything...

All I need is a set of default rules, like:
- default port for a virtual host (30000?),
- default installation path (/var/www/phppgadmin30?).

Advanced users will always need to perform a custom install. We are only
targeting entry-level users, which represent 80% of the upcoming users of
PostgreSQL. We should not underestimate the importance of these users for the
future of PostgreSQL.

I also hope that good packages will stop rumors like "PostgreSQL is slower
than MySQL" or limit the number of questions like "Should I install
PostgreSQL or MySQL". You see what I mean...

If you can install both products with a command line like:
"rpm -Uvh pgadmin3.i386.rpm phppgadmin3.i386.rpm",
why should we bother with such rumors?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE