Re: Growing Database Size

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Growing Database Size
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 04:05:59PM +0530, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On 14 Jun 2003 at 13:50, Kenneth Godee wrote:
> How about
>
> begin
> drop table a;
> drop table b;
> create table a;
> create table b;
> copy -> table a;
> copy ->table b;
> commit;
> vacuum analyze;
>
> I can almost bet that this would be faster than solution above as it would not
> churn the disk as much, put simply.
>
> Hmm..Just wondering, will truncate in above steps would do the same job?

Yes, truncate table would do the same job and more importantly, wouldn't
go mucking about in the catalog tables. Assuming it's available in 7.2,
you should absolutely use truncate instead of drop/create (man I wish
more databases supported truncate).
--
Jim C. Nasby (aka Decibel!)                    jim@nasby.net