Re: Exporting data from PostgreSQL

От Jeff Eckermann
Тема Re: Exporting data from PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
--- Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> > I have done this kind of exporting a lot (really
> > functional if you are using Samba, although AFAIK
> that
> > only works with Windows?).
>
> Er, no ... Samba was written on Linux.  What did you
> mean to say?

I meant, from the workstation side ...
It's pretty cool to be able to save a file from a
Windows workstation direct to a *nix directory, import
it (perhaps with minimal editing) to PostgreSQL,
crunch it with SQL (perhaps cross referencing to
already-stored data), dump it straight out again, open
it up directly in Excel and polish away...  I think
you get the picture.  A very powerful model for user
driven data analysis, and how I used to make my living
not long ago.

> There's also some 3rd-party tools out there:
>
> The current beta of PGAccess (www.pgaccess.org)
> includes export of query
> results, which works on some platforms.
>
> EMS Hitech (www.ems-hitech.com) has a GUI tool
> called "PgExport" for windows
> and Linux which will dump any table (support for
> queries and views is
> forthcoming) to a variety of formats: XLS, Text,
> PDF, XML, etc., with a high
> degree of customizability.

Not included in my oblique reference, but useful
tools, I agree.