Re: [pgsql-advocacy] MySQL gets $19.5 MM

От gunther hust
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] MySQL gets $19.5 MM
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I am the CTO of a venture funded company and I can
tell you that the last thing on a VC's mind in this
market is patience.  Forgive me if I am repeating
common knowledge here but their first moves will be to
install new management and get the company to
profitability.  ASAP.

Technology and features be notwithstanding - they will
do whatever it takes including closing off parts of
the source code.  Expect to see a fork in the codebase
if at all allowed by the current license by the
original developers or someone close.

Ironically this may represent a golden opportunity
here for PostgreSQL.  Not right away of course but
over the next couple of years.  VC's require
profitability and profitability requires revenue.
Revenue requires deadlines, and the first thing you
lose with deadlines are features and quality.

With $20M in funding their main competitor will be
Oracle.  And right now I won't even consider Oracle
because it's just too expensive, as MySQL will be
soon.

Regards,
Gunther

>> Er... I said PostgreSQL was the superior product.
Re-read the original post.

>>> To be completely blunt:  MySQL the database will
not easily survive the demise
>>> of MySQL AB.
>
>> Agreed.  But $19MM ought to buy them a little more
time.