Re: Options for select from function returning record?

От Stephan Szabo
Тема Re: Options for select from function returning record?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:

> I'm interested to know what options there are in selecting values from a
> function returning a RECORD.
>
> For instance, in the query below:
>
> temporary=> SELECT
>                 *
>             FROM
>                 fn_v1_board_view_board (1, 1)
>             AS (n_id integer, t_description varchar, t_name varchar,
>                 typer integer, n_id_photo integer);
>
> it would be convenient to be able to omit some columns on occasion. Is
> this possible, as if the record returned was like a table.

You can use a list like n_id, t_description instead of * in the select I
believe just as usual.

> Also is it possible to ever truncate this sort of select as
>
> temporary=> SELECT
>                 *
>             FROM
>                 fn_v1_board_view_board (1, 1);
>
> ommitting the "AS"?

Not for a function returning records currently.  If the type is known and
constant, you can instead make a composite type with CREATE TYPE AS and
have the function return those rather than record.