Re: WARNING: ROLLBACK: no transaction in progress

От Paul Thomas
Тема Re: WARNING: ROLLBACK: no transaction in progress
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On 09/06/2003 15:33 Dmitry Tkach wrote:

> Frankly, I could never understand why people are so inclined to use all
> those third party connection pooling mechanisms - they have all kinds of
> problems - they 'swallow' native sql exceptions, they do funny stuff
> with transactions etc, etc... The main problem being, they are 'black
> boxes' - you never know what exactly happens to the connection
> before/after you get your hands on it.... :-(

I'm using Tomcat's connection pooling and I don't any of the problems you
describe. It doesn't swallow SQLExceptions and it doesn't do anything
(funny or otherwise) with transactions. I don't regard it as a black box
either. The source is freely available and I can see exactly what its
doing to my connection. And if don't like what it does, I am, of course,
free to modify it. It seems more like a white box to me :)

> This seems way too much price to pay for the benefit of not having to
> implement the pool on your own (which is, more or less, just having a
> Vector of  active connections somewhere) ...

Well, some years ago, I did have to write my own connection pooling and I
can tell you that there's quite a bit more to it than just bunging some
connections in a Vector.

regards

--
Paul Thomas