Re: Proposal to Re-Order Postgresql.Conf, part II

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Proposal to Re-Order Postgresql.Conf, part II
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jan,

> No, not documenting it IS a good move.

I couldn't disagree more.  Undocumented options?  Who are we, Microsoft?

>  If there's a button people will
> press it, if there's a switch people will turn it on and if there's a
> slot people will stick in whatever they have ... believe it or not, I
> have found a Xmas cookie in the floppy drive of a consultant's notebook
<snip>

These kinds of people don't read the documentation in the first place, so
we're in no danger from them.

I can definitely see an argument that the "developer" switches should be
documented on a different page of the docs from "Run-Time Configuration".
But the idea of having GUCs that aren't documented at all, anywhere, is a
very anti-Open Source idea.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco