Re: Estimate of when CVS will be available again?

От Sean Chittenden
Тема Re: Estimate of when CVS will be available again?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> >> Okay, I have CVSup up and available again, which allows you to
> >> download the whole repository locally to work on ... is there a
> >> strong reason why anoncvs is *required* to the repository with
> >> this available?
>
> > CVSup is a PITA to get setup on OSes other than FreeBSD?
>
> Building CVSup from source is, um, a challenge (who the heck decided
> Modula3 would be a good choice for writing allegedly-portable
> software?)

You can thank Polestra for that... though you can now build CVSup with
pm3 instead of modula-3.. much smaller since pm3 doesn't have any
windowing bits.  There are rumors trickling around that once KSE is
done for FreeBSD (~5.2ish) that one of the guys will rewrite CVSup in
C...

> And, not everyone wants to store the entire project history locally.

You don't have to store the entire projects history... use a tag with
an explicit branch:

*default  tag=RELENG_4
*default  tag=RELEASE_7_3_3

or something like that and you get the equiv of an incremental cvs
export.

> I don't think it's reasonable to expect everyone to use cvsup.

Though I holistically agree with this.  CVSup is more bandwidth
friendly for sure, but cvs(1) is _everywhere_.

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden