Re: Index speeds up one row table (why)?

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: Index speeds up one row table (why)?
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 01:20:03 -0600,
  Dave E Martin XXIII <postgresql-to.dave@dave.to> wrote:
> Rod Taylor wrote:
>
> >An 8 k page will hold approx 140 tuples based on your structure. So,
> >for every ~100 updates you'll want to run vacuum (regular, not full) on
> >the table
>
> Alas, for this application, that means a vacuum once every 5 seconds or
> so. I'll see if I can set up a separate little task to do that (I assume
> at this rate, its better to just keep a connection open, than
> setup/teardown). I don't suppose there is a way to get a trigger to do a
> vacuum (which doesn't want to be in a transaction) (thinking it could
> check for id mod 100=0 or something)? I also assume a few pages isn't
> going to be that bad (just don't let it get to 11000 8).

Maybe you should reconsider how badly you want the app to be totally database
agnostic? Using a sequence might be less of a contortion than using vacuum
a few times a minute. You are likely to have similar performance issues
with other databases, so this section of code may not turn out to be very
portable in any case.