Re: to_char (was Re: fomatting an interval)

От Karel Zak
Тема Re: to_char (was Re: fomatting an interval)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 07:22:04PM -0700, elein wrote:

> I'm sorry I am not up on hackers' discussions on this.
>
> What is to be the alternative to to_char()?
> I use to_char very heavily for pretty output of dates and times.
> And I know I'm not the only one.
>
> Will there be separate from interval, from timestamp, etc. functions?
> Extract is not adequate because then you have to concatenate
> it all back together again.  It is important to have the formatting
> simple and in one function if possible.  A lot of notice needs
> to be put out before  deprecating to_char since it is really
> widely used.

 No deprecating to_char (= means to_char versions), but deprecated is
 _only_ "interval" to_char() version, because is unworkable.

 The others to_char() versions for timestamp, date, numeric, etc. will
 still in PostgreSQL and I hope it will there forever ;-)

 Sorry if my last mail dismay someone -- we talked about
 to_char(interval) only.

> On Wednesday 28 May 2003 03:24, Karel Zak wrote:
> >
> >  I think we will mark to_char(interval) as deprecated function and
                                  ^^^^^^^
> >  it will removed in some next release. It was already discussed.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>
 http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/