Re: Postgresql on SUN Server

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Postgresql on SUN Server
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 02:08:12PM -0600, scott.marlowe wrote:

> I just think SYSV shared memory isn't built for handling large amounts of
> memory.

That's sort of my feeling, too, and corresponds with something Tom
Lane said recently on -performance (where I guess this oughta move)
to the effect that, since OS guys have spent years and (in some
cases) millions of dollars optimising the filesystem buffer
algorithms; and since he tried one time to alter the PostgreSQL
buffer management algorithm, and that attempt was unsuccessful;
therefore there is bound to be some point of diminishing returns in
increasing the postmaster's shared buffers, and that point is likely
to show up sooner rather than later.

> I could stand out here at the fence and chat all day... :-)

Me, too, but the fields keep a-growin'.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110