Re: network problems: -h flag not working properly

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: network problems: -h flag not working properly
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 05:25:12AM -0700, Neil Zanella wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running Red Hat 9 with PostgreSQL 7.3.2 and have the following entry at the
> top of /etc/hosts and can shell into my computer from a remote location without
> any hassle:
>
> 127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
>
> I can also run "psql foobar" to connect to database "foobar" from my copmputer.
> However, when I issue the following commands from my computer:
>
> $ psql foobar
> foobar=# \q
> $ psql -h 127.0.0.1 foobar
> psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
>         Is the server running on host 127.0.0.1 and accepting
>         TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

When you don't specify a host, it connects via a unix domain socket, which
works. If you specify a host it uses TCP/IP which evidently doesn't. Go to
your server config and find the 'tcpip_socket' and set it to true.

By the way, did you read the error message?

> Also, what is the difference between "CREATE DATABASE" and "CREATE SCHEMA"?

A table is in a schema. There can be multiple schemas in a database. There
can be multiple databases per database cluster. A single postmaster looks
after a single database cluster.

Hope this helps,

> "the West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or
> religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence.
> Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
>   - Samuel P. Huntington

Вложения