Re: Query error=Implicit ABORT?

От Wayne Armstrong
Тема Re: Query error=Implicit ABORT?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
** Reply to message from Eric D Nielsen <nielsene@MIT.EDU> on Sat, 24 May 2003
11:56:17 -0400
Hi,
 Here is an example of when the implicit rollback is just dangerous.

 Here is a snippet from a postgres log :-
2003-05-24 23:09:14 [1525]   LOG:  duration: 0.134503 sec
2003-05-24 23:09:14 [1525]   LOG:  query: select nspname from pg_namespace n, p
_class c where c.relnamespace=n.oid and c.oid='select'::regclass
2003-05-24 23:09:14 [1525]   ERROR:  Relation "select" does not exist
2003-05-24 23:09:14 [1525]   LOG:  statement: select nspname from pg_namespace
, pg_class c where c.relnamespace=n.oid and c.oid='select'::regclass
2003-05-24 23:09:14 [1525]   LOG:  query: ROLLBACK
2003-05-24 23:09:14 [1525]   LOG:  duration: 0.000538 sec

The rollback here is generated by the odbc driver to clear an error created by
the odbc driver incorrectly parsing the select from a subselect statement as a
table name. The application is totally unaware an error has occured and a
rollback has been issued. This is most likely to lead to data loss, unless,
basically, an application using odbc is in autocommit mode or commits after
every sql statement issued. This concerns me to the piont where I would really
recommend not using the parse statement option in the odbc driver (even though
that reduces the odbc drivers ability to mimic a prepare which is also
problematic :) unless you are using autocommit.

Basically I think - implicit rollbacks on error should not occur as soon as
autocommit is off !

Regards,
Wayne Armstorng
Bacchus Management Systems