Re: UFS Logging on Solaris 8

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: UFS Logging on Solaris 8
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 05:19:33PM -0300, Fernando Papa wrote:

> 1) Do you have any experience/problems with this filesystem?

No.

> 2) performance could be better than "plain" UFS?

Not really, and it may be slower.

> 3) We have 4 physical 18GB Disk. We are thinking about the layout: One
> physiscal disk for O.S. and the other disk for Database. And the two
> other disks will be mirror (with DiskSuite). This could be good for
> start?

One for OS, "one for Database" as in the binary?  Put the binary on
the OS's disk.  Put WAL on its own disk (or at least, on a different
disk than the data storage areas).  The performance is much better
that way.

> I know, solaris is not the best platform to run postgresql, but I'ts the
> only we have now.

Some people report that Linux is actually faster than Solaris on the
various SPARCs.  I have my doubts, but I haven't tried.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110