Re: ERROR: Memory exhausted in AllocSetAlloc(188)

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: ERROR: Memory exhausted in AllocSetAlloc(188)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 12:58:41AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net> writes:
> > I'm having the same problem...
>
> How many rows would you expect this command to insert?
>
> You might be running into the fact that pending-trigger-call lists are
> kept in memory, but it's hard to tell without knowing the number of
> rows involved...

35M

I re-wrote the query to do a subselect instead of a full join (which
changed the access plan from a hash-join to a subquery), and it looks
like it might finish, but it's still using a heck of a lot of memory...

18252 jnasby     1  40    0 1135M  442M cpu1  290:03 48.07% postgres
19168 jnasby     1  60    0   62M   44M sleep   2:35  8.03% postgres

The second engine is typical of the other engines in terms of memory
usage. Also, I've seen some engines not releasing memory until
termination; there was one that was using 1.6G just sitting at the
prompt.

If it helps, that snapshot is with ~16M tuples in the table, according
to vacuum verbose (started with 0 tuples).
--
Jim C. Nasby (aka Decibel!)                    jim@nasby.net