Re: INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE Views

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE Views
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 01:01:01PM +0300, Kaarel wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm relatively new to PostgreSQL. I was wondering why were
> INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE view diabled in PostgreSQL? Other database systems
> have these features so why shouldn't PostgreSQL. I did some searching
> and found that prior version 7.1 or 7.0 these features were in fact
> enabled. I couldn't however find a satisfying reason for the removal of
> these features from PostqreSQL mailing list archives.

You can define rules to make insert, update and delete work on views. I'm
surprised it was ever enabled by default since in the general case it is
impossible to workout what the rules should be.

Consider the view:

select * from a, b where a.id = b.id;

If you inserted into that, what should happen? So Postgresql leaves to option
upto the admin.

> "the West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or
> religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence.
> Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
>   - Samuel P. Huntington

Вложения