Patch from Aurora SPARC linux project -- -fpic verus -fPIC.

От Lamar Owen
Тема Patch from Aurora SPARC linux project -- -fpic verus -fPIC.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I received a patch the other day from Tom Callaway ('spot'), who is the lead
for the Aurora SPARC Linux project (auroralinux.org).  He is working through
updating Aurora to a Red Hat 9 base, up from the current (very stable) Red
Hat 7.3 base.

I am an Aurora user, and am using PostgreSQL 7.2.4 on Aurora 1.0 in
production.

The patch is attached, but brings up a question that I have already briefly
discussed with Tom Lane, who's suggestion was interesting.  The patch is
intended to change the existing '-fpic' gcc option to '-fPIC' for sparc, for
the CFLAGS_SL in src/makefiles/Makefile.linux.  Tom's suggestion, which I had
given cursory thought to when I received the patch, is to change to -fPIC
across the board instead of -fpic.

Is there a good reason to use -fpic instead of -fPIC?  PostgreSQL 7.2.4
compiles and links fine on SPARC under the gcc 2.96RH compiler; 7.3.2 does
not link OK under the gcc 3.2 compiler, both with -fpic.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio