Re: Scheduled jobs

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Scheduled jobs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 07:18:52AM -0700, Zlatko Michailov wrote:

> remove such rows. Since the account registrations are inside the
> database, it appeals to me that session maintenance should also be
> there.

I still don't see what this is going to buy which cron will not.  And
what you're asking for is that the whole community pay the cost of
maintaining an expensive and redundant piece of functionality because
of your preference.

If you really want that, you can probably implement it yourself. I
know plenty of people (including me) who would argue very strongly
against putting this sort scheduling function inside any release of
PostgreSQL.  It's a maintenance nightmare which adds nothing to cron;
moreover, it's a potential source of some extremely serious bugs,
including security vulnerabilities.  Finally, the effort that might
be expended in maintaining a redundant piece of code like this is
something that could be expended instead on providing functionality
which is at present not available at all.

----
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M2P 2A8                                        +1 416 646 3304
x110