Plans for index names unique to a table?

От Sean Chittenden
Тема Plans for index names unique to a table?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Are there any plans to make index names unique to a table instead of
to a schema?  I was thinking similar to the way that constraints are
handled.  It's not really necessary, but it would be kinda nice when
indexing a column across all tables in a schema that share the same
column name.

CREATE SCHEMA s;
CREATE TABLE s.a (x_id INT);
CREATE TABLE s.b (x_id INT);
CREATE TABLE s.c (x_id INT);
CREATE INDEX x_id_idx ON s.a (x_id);
CREATE INDEX x_id_idx ON s.b (x_id);
CREATE INDEX x_id_idx ON s.c (x_id);

Instead of:

CREATE INDEX a_x_id_idx ON s.a (x_id);
CREATE INDEX b_x_id_idx ON s.b (x_id);
CREATE INDEX c_x_id_idx ON s.c (x_id);

It's cosmetic like I said, but I couldn't figure out a reason for why
index names weren't unique to a given table like constraints.

     Curious,Sean

--
Sean Chittenden