Re: Hyper-Threading

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: Hyper-Threading
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I've heard conflicting reports about HyperThreading in general ... by
default, FreeBSD doesn't enable it (it originally did), as ppl were
reporting performance degradation ... I'm using it on our servers, and
haven't noticed any problems ...

As far as PostgreSQL is concerned, how well it takes advantage of it is
alot more dependent, I think, on the OS itself then on the application ...
PostgreSQL is multi-process, but its the OS itself that handles the
schedualing between CPUs, and how those resources are allocated ...

My understanding of HyperThreading is that on a DualCPU box, you end up
with 4 CPUs running at ~67% each, instead of 2 CPUs running at 100% each
... or ~1.5x faster, depending on how well the OS itself handles it ...