Fwd: Re: Conversion between UNICODE and LATIN1 is not supported

От Andreas Joseph Krogh
Тема Fwd: Re: Conversion between UNICODE and LATIN1 is not supported
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc

- ----------  Forwarded Message  ----------

Subject: Re: [JDBC] Conversion between UNICODE and LATIN1 is not supported
Date: Monday 28 April 2003 12:54
From: Patrick Samson <p_samson@yahoo.com>
To: andreak@officenet.no

About your posting at pgsql-hackers in Dec last year.

I know it's a long time ago, and you probably solved
your problem now, but I experienced the same trouble.
I found the solution by myself, but would have
appreciate some clues in a response to your post.

So I would like to share my solution, for the benefit
of everyone. As I don't know how to publish a post
without being a subscriber, I send you my message.
May be you can manage to make it available in the
archives. That would be nice for the community.

- ----------------------------------
My environment is : pg 7.3.2 on Cygwin

Everything was fine with pg 7.2. Then I transfered
my DB to a new box freshly installed with pg7.3,
and I had the conversion error between UNICODE and
LATIN1 (or LATIN9).

This is because the conversion management has changed:
The conversions are implemented as Functions in the
DB. Implementation is done by:
 /usr/local/pgsql/share/conversion_create.sql
which is used in initdb.
If you look in it, you will see references like:
 $libdir/<charSet1>_and_<charSet2>
These are the names of DLLs.

Unfortunatelly I followed the instructions in
INSTALL / Post-Installation Setup:
 On Cygwin, ... move the ".dll" files into the "bin/"
 directory.

This was OK for 7.2 (only 4 files), but for 7.3 the
26 additional conversion files are no more found
in $libdir as expected, unless you try to alter this
variable.

I moved back the dlls in lib/ and added the directory
to the PATH. Then I executed the conversion_create
as mentioned in

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-07/msg00747.php
and saw that conversions were well performed.

As this manual command put the functions in a
specified DB (DB/Schemas/public/Functions with
pgAdmin),
I prefered to do an initdb again, so it appeas as
a default (template1/Schemas/pg-catalog/Functions).

Additional comment:
With the problem, I was not able to use pg73jdbc2 or
pg73jdbc3, but pg72jdbc2 was working.
After the correction, pg73jdbc2|3 were OK.

http://search.yahoo.com

- --
Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak@officenet.no>
  We are programmers, not mind-readers.