pg_namespace -> pg_schema?

От Sean Chittenden
Тема pg_namespace -> pg_schema?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I know pg_namespace has been in release for one rev, but I was
wondering if for consistency sake there was any interest or desire or
plans to change the system catalog to pg_schema.

CREATE SCHEMA [schema_name];

SET search_path = foo,pubic;

SELECT * FROM pg_namespace;

SELECT * FROM information_schema.schemata;

The four naming schemes seem a bit disjointed.  I know schemata is
spec mandated, but the others aren't frozen by anything as far as I
can tell.  If 7.3.3 is going to be around for a while, it might be
nice to setup transitional warning and 1:1 views that allow:
    CREATE SCHEMA [schema_name];
    SET schema_path = foo,public;
    SELECT * FROM pg_schema;

to work.  Just some thoughts after trying to explain the different
naming practices to someone and being unable to give a good
justification for namespaceo != schema != search_path.  Given the
feature hasn't been around that long (only 8mo), figured it might be
worth considering now vs. in 5 years when it becomes apparent that
there not semantically connected even though they all revolve around
the same concept of schemas.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden