Re: Tech Docs and Consultants

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: Tech Docs and Consultants
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Tuesday 15 April 2003 01:09, you wrote:
> OK, In summary:
>
> Justin needs a break.
> Josh is willing to take over techdocs.
> Elein, Richard, John are willing to help.
>
> We have decided to keep techdocs at hub.org
> with the other postgresql sites.
>
> We will keep the current zwiki part of techdocs
> and possibly enhance it.
>
> We need to improve contribution turn around for
> input into the techdoc page, ideally enabling
> anyone to contribute articles, reviews, etc.
>
> The decision on the infrastruction is up in the air.
> The choices are:
>     a) static html/css
>     b) bricolage
>     c) php/css
>     d) wiki (enhanced or regular)
>     e) as yet unknown
>
> Josh, if you are running the show, then you get to decide
> on the infrastructure.  But you'll need to look at the options
> to find what you're most comfortable with. And everyone else gets
> an opinion/input. I'm sure Marc will accomodate what we need
> when we decide.

May I suggest another option. Let's create documents in latex/lyx etc. Whoever
has a suggestion over it, can submit a comment in a web forum. Author group
look at the comment, act accordingly on it and clear the comment. Think of it
as a bug tracking system. A standard response time of 1-2 business days
should be good enough.

This way people who has editing access will have authenticated access. Since
the number should be fairly limited and we can do away with CVS
authentication, we do not need a content management system facing the world.
Not every visitor should have edit access. That is somewhat 'off the mark'
approach IMO.

If the update suggestions flowing in are going to be steady and low, I think
this should work. Furthermore we can separate authors and editors so that we
continue to add new material, while maintening the material in consistent
state.

Furthermore with latex, we really get the ability to focus on contents, rather
than formatting.

Just my 2 cents.

 Shridhar