Re: [Fwd: General Information]

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: [Fwd: General Information]
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Friday 04 Apr 2003 4:48 pm, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On Friday 04 April 2003 19:06, you wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I just received this email, but don't have the energy to look after it.
> >
> > Does anyone else feel like helping out James here?
>
> I will try but sending it out to list so that answers can be reviewed. So
> guys, please review it and forward it to OP if they are suitable.
[snip]
> > Is the license owned by a trust whatsoever and is there a possibility of
> > it being sold or differently licensed?
>
> It is a BSD licensed code. So a company can take the product, commercialize
> it and sell it. However the real value comes from giving back to community
> because you earn trust and reputation that is probably worth more than
> direct business gains.

Nicely worded sir.

> I don't know if it can be packaged under different license but I believe
> should be possible. I recommend you study the license in detail. It is open
> and whatever is put up, that is the effective license. There is no hide and
> seek here.

I'd snip the above paragraph and just recommend they get legal advice if they
are planning to modify PG and resell it.

> > Would there be limitations or agreements required to accompany our
> > product once developed and licensed for use by customers ?
>
> You mean you develop an app. on top of postgresql and customer need to
> install postgresql+your app.? In that case, they can just download the
> binaries/sources and install/manage themselves or pay a consultant/company
> to do that for them. There is no separate license required to use
> postgresql by an independent ISV or their customers.

Perhaps make it clear that the licence on PG has no effect on their schema,
data or application. That's the usual concern I get with clients once I
explain what open source is.

--
  Richard Huxton

Сообщение: Re: [Fwd: General Information]
Сообщение: Re: [Fwd: General Information]