Re: I want to send comments to the backend!

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: I want to send comments to the backend!
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Yes, I see that now.  res is NULL and PQresultStatus() is returning
> > PGRES_NONFATAL_ERROR.  What is strange is that "" and "\n" both return
> > an OK result, so I am trying to figure out why comments are different.
>
> The backend special-cases an input string that contains only whitespace
> (look in postgres.c).  The special case doesn't apply here, though.
>
> >> Perhaps PGRES_EMPTY_QUERY would be more appropriate?  Not sure where in
> >> the chain would be best to change the behavior, though.
>
> > Yes.
>
> Well, we could change the backend --- but that would be a nontrivial
> change, and to tell you the truth I think the special response for empty
> query is a wart on the protocol anyhow.  In the long run I'd rather get
> rid of it.

Yes, I see that now:
if (strspn(parser_input->data, " \t\r\n") == parser_input->len)

> Or we could change PQexec to return a PGRES_EMPTY_QUERY result if it
> gets nothing back from the backend except ReadyForQuery.  Question is,
> does that create the possibility of masking error conditions?
>
> Or we could just change PQresultStatus to return PGRES_EMPTY_QUERY for
> a null input.  Attractive 'cause it's a one-line change, but I think it
> really does create the possibility of masking errors --- application
> programmer errors, mostly.

Could we change the backend to return NullCommand() if the query string
was empty, rather than checking for whitespace directly?  I thought the
whitespace test was there only as a performance hack.  In fact, the
comment in postgres.c says that:                    * if there is nothing in the input buffer, don't
*bother trying to parse and execute anything; just                    * send back a quick NullCommand response.

In pg_exec_query_string(), if nothing is processed, we can do the call
there. or course assuming destination is correct?

Pennsylvania19073

Сообщение: Re: I want to send comments to the backend!
Сообщение: Re: I want to send comments to the backend!