Re: postgresql meltdown on PlanetMath.org

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: postgresql meltdown on PlanetMath.org
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 02:26:00PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> [ thinks...]  Perhaps we could back-port the FSM changes into 7.3 ...

For what it's worth, I think that'd be a terrible precedent.  Perhaps
making a patch file akin to what the Postgres-R folks do, for people
who really want it.  But there is just no way it's a bug fix, and one
of the things I _really really_ like about Postgres is the way
"stable" means stable.  Introducing such a new feature to 7.3.x now
smacks to me of the direction the Linux kernal has gone, where major
new funcitonality gets "merged"[1] in dot-releases of the so-called
stable version.

[1] This is the meaning of "merge" also used in Toronto on the 401 at
rush hour.  8 lanes of traffic jam and growing.

--
----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110