Re: converting time_t to timestamp?

От Stephan Szabo
Тема Re: converting time_t to timestamp?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, patrick wrote:

> I'm reposting this question since I received zero replies from my
> original post (maybe the original subject line was misleading).

> I've just^W upgraded from PostgreSQL 7.1.2 to 7.3.2.
>
> In 7.1.2 I was able to use the output of time(2) (and the like) to
> insert into a field of timestamp type.
>
> First thing i noticed with the upgrade was that the following broke:

The old syntax somewhat conflicted with the full type specifier when we
added the precision stuff.  Unfortunately, the change caught alot of
people. :(

>   in 7.1.2
>   => select timestamp ( 1046923200 );
>       timestamp
>   ------------------------
>    2003-03-05 20:00:00-08
>   (1 row)
>
>   in 7.3.2
>   => select timestamp ( 1046923200 );
>   ERROR:  TIMESTAMP(1046923200) precision must be between 0 and 6
>

> Can anyone point me to a work-around?
>
> I notice that I can use abstime( 1046923200 ) to get the desired
> result.  But is this the optimal way to do this?
'epoch'::timestamp + (<integer> * '1 second'::interval);

seems more explicit to me (in its intention), but probably isn't as
efficient as the int4->abstime->timestamp path.