Re: [HACKERS] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> > What about the addition of pg_attribute.attrelid &
> > pg_attribute.attname/attnum in RowDesription messages to identify the
> > underlying attribute (where appropriate)?
>
> Well, we can talk about it, but I still think that any frontend that
> relies on such information is broken by design.  (And if that means the
> JDBC spec is broken, then the JDBC spec is broken.)
>
> Just to start with, if I do "SELECT * FROM view", am I going to see the
> info associated with the view column, or with the hypothetical
> underlying table column?  (Actually, didn't I already make a list of a
> bunch of ways in which this concept is underspecified?  AFAIR, you
> didn't suggest answers to any of those questions ... but we need answers
> to all of them if we are going to implement the feature.)

I was willing to add a hack to enable default column labels to be
"table.column" --- that seemed like the least obtrusive.

Pennsylvania19073

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign