Re: Postgres Databases growing without much reason

От Stephan Szabo
Тема Re: Postgres Databases growing without much reason
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Andreas Rust wrote:

> At 14:03 14.02.03, you wrote:
> >On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 11:58:00AM +0100, Andreas Rust wrote:
> > > I completely dumped the dbase, dropped and restored it and instead of 2 GB
> > > it was
> > > only using 150 MB then. Now, after having this running for about 2 Weeks
> > > constantly,
> > > the performance is falling down again and the database grew up to 550 MB
> > > again, although
> > > there was not much inserted into the dbase-tables.
> >
> >Can you find which files in the data directory are growing? They're numbered
> >by oid, which you can lookup in pg_class.
>
> Yes, I can ...
>
> After an advice, I just did "vacuum full" instead of analyze and that
> brought the DB
> down to some 350 MB again ... no time this week anymore, but will check
> into that
> middle next week again.

As a note for when you come back to this, if vacuum full reclaims a bunch
of space, but vacuum (without full) ends up with unbounded growth, it's
possible that you're exceeding the free space map settings and will need
to look at increasing them.